WASHINGTON - Chairman of the Federal Reserve, Ben Bernanke Wednesday said it was too soon to scale back the monetary stimulus and the central bank needs to see further signs of traction before taking a decision. A decision to scale back the $85 billion in bonds the Fed is buying each month could come at one of the central bank's "next few meetings" if the economy looked set to maintain ...
TOKYO - Japan's trade deficit rose substantially more than expected in the month April to 879.9 billion yen ($8.6 billion), which is a 70% jump over the trade deficit during the corresponding month a year earlier, the Finance Ministry said Wednesday.. The deficit, for the tenth consecutive month, was wider than what many economists had forecast. A survey from the Nikkei business daily ...
WASHINGTON - Adding vitamin C to existing tuberculosis drugs regime could shorten the therapy for drug resistant TB, claims new research findings published in the online scientific journal Nature Communications. The striking discovery, by researchers at Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, has determined that vitamin C kills drug-resistant TB bacteria in laboratory ...
LONDON - In a critique of the United Kingdom's austerity programme, the International Monetary Fund Wednesday urged the Europe's third largest economy to rebalance the policy to make the transition to a high-investment and more export-oriented economy. "The UK could boost growth by bringing forward measures already included in its fiscal plan, such as spending on infrastructure and job ...
DHAKA - A high level US delegation led by the State Department's Under Secretary for Political Affairs Wendy Sherman will visit Bangladesh this weekend to press for a major overhaul of labour safety regulations following the nation's deadliest industrial accident, an official said Wednesday. The collapse of a nine-storey factory complex housing several garment units outside the capital last ...
Winds: From the SE at 7 MPH
Hamlet 2 is a feature-length joke about the silliness of dreaming big that, in the end, reifies the dream. Its main character is Dana Marschz (Steve Coogan), an endearingly inept former actor who traded in a mediocre career of appearing in infomercials and STD ads for a gig teaching dra ... ...
FRANKFURT - Germany's central bank Deutsche Bundesbank expects the country's economy to improve "markedly" in the second quarter relying on signals of pick up in industrial orders and likelihood of weather related downturn in construction sector no longer impacting investment sentiments a development that could boost the wider eurozone as it struggles to get out of recession. "Overall ...
Work began on Monday on the development of a man-made island in Dubai, 500 metres directly opposite the Jumeirah Beach Residence complex. To be known as Bluewaters Island, the new development will house five star hotels and resorts, al fresco dining and entertainment zones, and residential apartments and villas. The focal point of the island city, which will cost $1.6 billion, will be a 688 ...
LONDON - The UK housing market seems to be picking up with gross mortgage lending up 4.3 per cent in April over previous month to 12.1 billion pounds, the highest in over four years, according to the Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML). The mortgage lending was 21% higher than April 2012, but this data is skewed by the end of the stamp duty concession on 24 March, 2012. Under the stamp duty ...
MADRID (MarketWatch) -- U.S. stock market futures fell sharply early Thursday, as fears over a tapering of the Federal Reserve's bond-buying program continued to play out. Those worries and weak China data led to heavy losses for global stocks, with Japan equities suffering their biggest one-day loss in more than two ...
See Search Box lower down this column for searches of Finfacts news pages. Where there may be the odd special character missing from an older page, it's a problem that developed when Interactive Tools upgraded to a new content management ...
They Said It
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Swiss-Grand Resort & Spa, Bondi Beach, Australia
Perfectly positioned alongside Sydney's World famous Bondi Beach, the Swiss-Grand is a great hotel, packed with uniqueness and extras. At ...Keep reading
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Sports SunSports Sun | Breaking Sports News as it Happens
Breaking news from the world of Sports. This online newspaper has an extended scope, covering all the major sports including football, basketball, hockey, soccer, rugby, rugby league, boxing, tennis, horseracing, cricket, swimming, athletics and more. Whether its the NFL, NHL, NBA, the Olymic Games, the Commonwealth Games, an international tournament or match, or news about an athlete, Sports Sun will be breaking the news. In addition to the latest sporting headlines, Sports Sun also features breaking global news and business.
In addition to our own resources, we take news from contracted wire services. We also spider external news sites including mainstream media and specialized sports sites and magazines on an hourly basis, 24 hours a day, seven days a week to ensure our news is continually updated and refreshed.
For parties that require Sports news headlines on their Web site we are happy to oblige, and have provided RSS feeds for this purpose. For readers wanting a daily email update of Sports news delivered to their inbox, we provide this service on a daily basis, and it is complimentary.
We welcome your feedback. If you have any comments or suggestions about the Sports Sun please forward them by using our Contact Us form.
Sports media giant ESPN has given pink slips to some of its 7,000 employees on Tuesday, the network said in a statement.
The Bristol, Connecticut-based company said it was looking at the financial bottom line.
In a statement the company said that they were implementing changes across the company to enhance their continued growth while smartly managing costs.
It added that while difficult, they were confident that it would make them more competitive, innovative and productive.
It reported higher revenues from its cable networks in the last fiscal year, but it also said that increased programming costs were due largely to the rising costs of the rights to cover sports such as college and professional football.
According to CNN, some media reports said that the number of affected employees and open positions were as high as 400.
ESPN has not commented on how many people would be sacked.
ESPN, which operates eight domestic networks and 27 around the world, is 80 percent owned by Disney. (ANI)
- Clermont wary of complete Castres
- Preview Rebels v Waratahs
- No Franks for Crusaders
- Liverpool hope for speedy Carroll resolution
- Sinclair has rib removed to stop blood clot
- England-New Zealand Test series Fit-again Graeme Swann Tim Bresnan return to England Test squad
- IPL 2013 Bhuvneshwar Kumar lone Warrior in a defeated army
- Ireland eye another chance to shine
- Indian Premier League IPL 2013 Sunrisers beat KXIP by 30 runs to remain in hunt for play-offs
- Dilhara Lokuhettige replaces injured Welegedara
- British football scores an own goal
- Wasps wing Christian Wade shocked and humbled to win Players Player and Young Player of the Year awards
- David Warner fined for Twitter comments
- County Championship round-up Graham Napier hits fifth half-century in nine innings
- England v New Zealand We will try to win it with words says Neil Wagner
- On The Field LaMarr Woodley
- Broncos best gather to honor owner Pat Bowlen
- Harbaugh claims Niners not interested in Moss
- The Time Is Right
- Report Panthers first pick Lotulelei reach deal
- Strike threat for Spanish basketball league play-offs
- Basketball-sized hairball surgically removed from tiger that stopped eating
- LeBron James delivers winner as Miami Heat beat Pacers
- LeBron Heat dig deep to top Pacers in Game 1
- NBL breaks away from Basketball Australia
- Rookie Gattis gives Braves winning thrust
- HIGH SCHOOL BASEBALL ROUNDUP University on cloud nine after first-round City Div. I victory at Chatsworth
- Plum baseball ends season with tough loss to North Allegheny
- Padres rally fizzles in 5-3 loss to Cardinals
- Indians feeling soggy after 11-7 loss to Tigers
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Sports Sun headlines delivered to your inbox.
- ICC launches Champions Trophy website
- IPL spot-fixing Mumbai Police in Chennai to quiz BCCI chiefs son-in-law Guru Meiyappan
- Cheruiyot to miss World championships for pregnancy
- Casual Khawaja set to prove critics wrong with worthy performance in Ashes
- Pellegrini announces Malaga departure